Done - 1.1.0 Navigation Language - SidLau

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by TML1977, Jun 27, 2015.

1. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

Hi,
    Firstly thank you so much for the time and effort that you have put into the 2 Equpd Apps. Without them our ability to serve in our current assignments would be very disheartening.

One thing as a language learner of Chinese Cantonese that would be awesome would be to have the "Navigation Language" available in Sidney Lau. Do exactly as you have with the "Chinese Pinyin" in the "Bible Picker Size" of "Small" and "Medium" by just having a Chinese character, but the only difference being when having the "Fullscreen (Default)" mode is have the bible names in Sidney Lau. The benefit for many having the names of every bible book in front of us truly would be an amazing thing. This would be especially helpful in recalling all the books and being able to follow the speaker quicker.
    Thank you for considering this request.

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the idea @TML1977 - I will indeed look into this. Would you be able to supply me with the Bible Book names in Sidney Lau from Genesis to Revelation? That would help me a lot.

3. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

Hi Matt,
    Please can I email an excel spreadsheet with the accurate spelling in SidLau?
    Tim

4. iMatt

You can just attach the file to your post Tim... There is an "Upload a File" option...

5. iMatt

@Tim - if attaching it to a post is a problem please let me know. If you get that list to me within the next 12 hours I will try and include the feature in the version 1.1 update. Otherwise it will have to wait...

6. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

i hope this made it in time

Attached Files:

7. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

If it makes it I will be able to use in my 2nd PT next week :)

8. iMatt

It did. Note that setting the Bible Navigation to Chinese (Sidney Lau) will:
    1. Show Sidney Lau for the scripture reference in the top toolbar
    2. Show Sidney Lau for the scripture references above the verses in the side-by-side view
    3. Show Sidney Lau for the scripture reference when you copy a scripture into your notes
    4. Show Sidney Lau in the Bible Picker, but only when it is set to "Fullscreen". Some of the book names are quite long in Sidney Lau and the way they wrap is not ideal, but it should be good to go for now. If not set to "Fullscreen" then the Picker will show Chinese Traditional characters for the book names.
    Please see the attached screenshots.

1 Navigation Language.png 2 Bible Window with Sidney Lau.png 3 Bible Picker.png

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  9. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

Thank you so much for that.
    On the following update, as I don't want to change your amazing work, I have made it so the tones are smaller so it follows suit with the actual scriptures.
    Again it truly is a gift that will be cherished by many learners!

Attached Files:

10. iMatt

Can you please clarify - should all of the tones be superscript? Or just for the subset of book names you sent in the second PDF?

UPDATE: Sorry, a silly question really. I already know the answer. I am changing them to superscript now...

11. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

All tones being superscript make it a lot easier to read. So to answer your question, yes (please).

12. iMatt

I have converted it all to use superscript. I hope I did not miss anything. I updated the screenshots in the earlier message - please check it, and if anything is wrong please let me know asap.

13. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

Perfect! Thank you so much!

14. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

Hi Matt, I am so sorry. I only just noticed that the hyphens were removed from the SidLau words with more than 1 syllable, can this be put back in? This really helps to connect words together.
    Thank you so much!

15. iMatt

@TML1977 Can you please provide me with more details? I am not sure what I have missed here...

16. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

It used to be "Ye4-woh4-wa4 si6 ji3-sin6-ji3-mei5 ji1 yuen4" but now is "Ye4 woh4 wa4 si6 ji3 sin6 ji3 mei5 ji1 yuen4". The connection with a hyphen allows you to know which is one word with perhaps multiple syllables. Does this make sense? :)

17. iMatt

I think I am missing something. I might have to look closer at the version that hit the app store. You are basically saying that it does not look like the screenshot I submitted in the above post? Which is what I still see.

18. iMatt

Oh! Are you talking about what shows in the actual verses? I assumed we were still talking about the Bible Picker/Navigation.

If so then I see the issue. Annoying. So sorry that happened. I will try to get a fix out again asap but that is not so easy for me right now....

19. TML1977

TML1977 New Member

Sorry Matt, my ability to explain is a little off today. ;)
    The bible picker is perfect! (That was all I looked at in the images the other day)
    The actual scriptures now no longer have the "-" connecting the words in SidLau together that should be pronounced together. When reading Psalm 83:18 it is now:
    18 ho² yeung⁶ yan⁴ ji¹ do³,nei⁵ dik¹ ming⁴ si⁶ ye⁴ woh⁴ wa⁴,wai⁴ yau⁵ nei⁵ si⁶ tung² ji⁶ chuen⁴ dei⁶ dik¹ ji³ go¹ je²。
    It was on the previous version:
    18 ho²-yeung⁶ yan⁴ ji¹-do³, nei⁵ dik¹ ming⁴ si⁶ ye⁴-woh⁴-wa⁴ , wai⁴-yau⁵ nei⁵ si⁶ tung²-ji⁶ chuen⁴-dei⁶ dik¹ ji³-go¹-je²。
    Notice how the last word in verse 18 is now not connected together with a "-" and it was?

20. iMatt

Issue confirmed - sorry @TML1977 :(

Will do what I can...