Closed Will not open any bibles

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Lee m, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Lee m

Lee m New Member

Hi
    I am guessing there is something I am missing, but when I go to jw.org, download the bible in ePub, into equipd, it then takes me to the app, but nothing loads, no bibles in any language,
    I have checked the settings and they see. To be the same as before the latest update.
    I could get the translations on there before the update.
    Please help
    Mewslee

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Odd. So what do you see then? Can you post some screenshots of the bible screen and also what you see in Admin > Bibles?

3. Lee m

Lee m New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Hope these help
    Thanks for the reply
    Lee

4. iMatt

Hi Lee,

This app is a Bible reader. It can load EPUB files that are Bibles - nothing else.

I can see in the second screenshot that you have tried to install a file called "w_CHS_20150515" - this looks like a Watchtower file or similar in Chinese Simplified? It is not a Bible EPUB that is for sure. And the fact that it does not show a file extension on whatever it is being imported is also concerning and likely contributing to the issue.

I am not sure what else you have tried to load in here but it has obviously got quite confused at this stage.

I suggest you do a backup in Admin > Settings of any Notes or Bookmarks you may have made. And then maybe uninstall the app, and reinstall it. And then from now on only try to install EPUB files that are for Bibles from JW.org or from www.equipd.me/bibles.

Hope that makes sense?

I will try and install some non-Bible files at my end to improve the error handling around this so that it does not break anything in future for other users who may try to do the same thing. But for now I don't have any other suggestions sorry.

5. iMatt

Actually I do have another suggestion you could try, before you try uninstalling the app.

Force close the Equipd Bible app, or restart your device if you don't know how to force close an app.

Go into iOS Settings. Scroll down until you see "Equipd" with the black logo for the Bible app. Then set the option to "Clear Incoming Files". See the screenshot below for a sample of this screen.

Then try opening the Equipd Bible again. Hopefully that will clear out that Watchtower file that is trying to install, and maybe it will resume working.

But if not, then please reinstall the app as previously suggested.

iOS Simulator Screen Shot 12.07.2015 8.50.56 pm.png

6. iMatt

I have tightened the code around this. The epub file will still install if it is not valid, but it should not cause the issues you were experiencing. And then the user can delete the file once they realise why it is not loading as a Bible.