Not a Bug Looking up scripture with accents doesn't work

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Marvin, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Marvin

Marvin New Member

When copying an bible verse to the clipboard where an accent is on top of one of the characters, it doesn't open.
    For example Mattheüs doens't work, where Matt does, or Timotheüs doesn't work, where Timo does.
    This is in Dutch quite often the case. Can you fix this?

Greetz Marvin

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

I am sure I can Marvin. I just need to make sure I understand where the issue actually is.

My understanding of your explanation is that there is something wrong with clipboard lookups. So you copy the scripture from somewhere outside Equipd Bible app, and then switch to the app, and it doesn't offer to lookup the scripture?

I presume you have the Clipboard Lookups set to Dutch in the Settings instead of English?

I just tested a clipboard lookup using "Mattheüs 24:14" and it worked perfectly. Thus, I am a bit confused. Please see the attached screenshots.

Am I misunderstanding and the issue is not with clipboard lookups but somewhere else? Can you explain further?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. iMatt

I tested "2 Timotheüs 3:16" as well - and that also worked, with the accent.

image.jpg

4. iMatt

Maybe you can give me some screenshots to work with as well...

5. Marvin

Marvin New Member

I tested what you did, and I must confirm that it works.
    It goes wrong when I copy verses from the PDF files of the WT publications for example.
    I tried to copy the verses, and pasted them in Notes. What happens is that it looks like this:
    1 Korinti"ers 15:14 or 1 Timothe"us 3:16.
    It seems that copying verses with accents from PDF files from jw.org ar wrong copied to the clipboard.

Therefore, it looks like it's not a promblem with Equipd perse.

But perhaps it's possible to make an option to search the clipboard for the first 3 or 4 char of the biblebook and then the chapter and verse from clipboard. This way the character with accent is not an issue anymore.
    Or maybe you can come up with another simple option.

Otherwise, I have to live with it :) It only applies to the Read texts most of the time, because they are fully written out. Other verses are mostly abbreviated anyway.

Greetz.

6. iMatt

Thanks for clarifying Marvin. This is not the first time I have encountered the PDF throwing in hidden characters, especially when unicode is involved.

Overall I cannot cater for every scenario a PDF with hidden characters might throw at the app, but I have improved the detection for this specific scenario for the next update for you :)

7. Marvin

Marvin New Member

You're the best!
    Thnx!