Done - 2.0 List of scriptures with notes and links

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Aron Pedersen, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Aron Pedersen

Aron Pedersen New Member

Hello,

Thank you for making this app. It is very useful.

I wanted to share what to me would be a very powerful feature to help use the Bible more extensively in the ministry. (I apologize if this is what you were getting at with the idea you described here: http://www.equipd.me/forums/threads/centralised-way-of-viewing-and-searching-notes.8/)

A note taking feature within the app that would allow any scriptural references in the note to load in pop-up windows when tapped on. You would not leave your notes, and you would have the option to jump to that verse in the Bible if a broader scriptural context was needed.

I've created some mock screen shots to illustrate:

1. A new "Note" button would open the note writing feature.
    1 Note Feature.jpg

2. You could organize the notes from a drop down sheet.
    2 Organize Notes.jpg

3. Equipd would scan the notes for scriptures and generate links to them.
    3 Generate Links.jpg

4. Each link could then be tapped on to bring up the verse in a pop-up window, without leaving your note.
    4 Scripture Pop-Up.jpg

5. You would have the option to then tap on the scripture in the pop-up window to see it in the context of it’s chapter.
    5 Scripture In Chapter.jpg

These notes could be especially useful when witnessing to people who currently want to use the Bible exclusively, without any additional publications. Brief notes beside each link would help remind you why you were reading each scripture, how one scripture related to the next, and allow you to quickly decide if some scriptures may not need to be considered with that particular person.

Thank you for your hard work and for your consideration.

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for taking the time to share your idea. The trick is implementing this idea without compromising the integrity of existing and planned features. I am almost wondering if this is not an extension of bookmarks (i.e. a note against a bookmark), as bookmarks can span multiple verses and can be placed into a Topic like "Next Visit" and reordered, whereas the current Verse Notes feature is against a single verse only. I could then provide alternate ways to view the list of bookmarks. I have some thoughts on this and will ponder some more.

Just to clarify something - the concept of just writing general ad-hoc notes like in a full text editor will not be part of this app as that is not the apps purpose in life. But I think the listing of scriptures in the way you mention will be a possibility.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Aron - I am pleased to say that the next update to the app should satisfy your feature request. You can now add Comments against your Bookmarks. See the screenshot below for an example of what this looks like.

If you tap on a scripture it will open the scripture in the Bible window. And if you tap back on the toolbar button it will immediately open back to the same screen so that it is extremely easy to carry on where you left off.

IMG_0063.jpg

4. Aron Pedersen

Aron Pedersen New Member

Hi iMatt,

This looks really great! It looks like there's even more going on there, with a new side panel. So excited to try out these new features. I really appreciate the work you put into the continued progress of this app. This will be such a help in developing scriptural lines of reasoning, verse by verse. Nicely done!