FAQ Can you add another Bible?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by iMatt, Jun 29, 2015.

1. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Many users are asking me if I can add another Bible to the download page so that it can be loaded into the Equipd Bible app.

The short answer is, yes - if the Bible is in the Public Domain, or specific permission has been given by the copyright holder to do this.

Many Bibles are available online for free, but they are not in the Public Domain. They are protected by copyright which limits how they can be used and where.

So, if you want me to look into supporting a new Bible, please supply me with the following:
    1. The full name of the Bible
    2. The language of the Bible
    3. The URL where I can view the Bible online
    4. A link to the Copyright for that Bible
    If you do not supply me with the above details then I will ignore the request.

Create Your Own EPUB Files
    Remember that the Equipd Bible app is an EPUB reader. That means that users with technical capability can generate their own EPUB files to load. The generated EPUB must be compatible – make sure you use one of the default files as a working example of the file naming conventions and the HTML structure to adhere to. I am not available to help with generating these files sorry - the default files on the download page should be enough to get you started.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. Tay

Tay New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  3. iMatt

OK ... done! The Bible is now listed under the heading "Greek Scriptures Only" as this Bible only contains Matthew to Revelation. Thanks for providing all the details I requested including the Copyright information and the link to the online Bible.

4. iMatt

I should mention that the French Catholique Crampon 1923 Bible – BCC was also added today.

5. Tay

Tay New Member

Your awesome, it works great! No more switching back and forth between apps. Thanks

6. mumgold

mumgold New Member

7. iMatt

Sorry that copyright limits any options for me to help with making an EPUB of that Bible version available for download.
    As mentioned above, it is not about just converting something into EPUB format - the generated file must be compatible with the Equipd Bible app. Here is the key point...

8. david schawohl

david schawohl New Member

Hi Matt,
    If at all possible, could you include a low German bible, please? It is available in the YouVersion app called "bible". It is one of the versions they give out for free.
    Here is what they say about themselves:

De Bibel (PB)
    De Bibel
    Dise Bibel wort von Kindred Productions un United Bible Societies aun de 2003 rutjejäft.
    This bible is published by kindred productions and the United bible societies in 2003.

Wäa dise Bibel jedrekjt well haben, sull sikj no www.kindredproductions.com; custserv@kindredproductions.com ; ooda 1-800-545-7322 rechten.
    If you'd like to have a printed copy, please contact...

Thanks heaps!
    David

9. iMatt

Hi David,

Please see the initial post in this thread. As mentioned:
    This Bible is not in the Public Domain sorry, so I cannot add this for you.

10. Fabrizio

Fabrizio New Member

11. yeongjinoh

yeongjinoh New Member

1. The full name of the Bible : Ариун Библи
    2. The language of the Bible : mongolian
    3. The URL where I can view the Bible online : http://www.mubs.mn/bible/
    4. A link to the Copyright for that Bible : http://www.mubs.mn/bible/

please add this bible. i'm serving mongolian group in korea.
    thank you very much.

12. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp New Member

Hi @Gabriel, did you convert it from a PDF and if so, could you please provide some instructions on how to do this? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. Gabriel

Gabriel Active Member

I found a way to do this from an Epub file or from just the text. This is NOT the fastest method, but it works. This may take several hours ... I'm not a programmer, I'm civil engineering technician! )))
    It takes a file by chapter, the majority of epub have a file for each book of the Bible.
    If need to separate chapters, I create page breaks before every chapter and a page break before Chapter 1 (find chapter code and replace : <brstyle="page-break-before: always"> + chapter code) (or one by one in MS-Word)
    With this file, I create a epub with the Calibre software. With the .epub created, I change my extension to .zip. I decompresses the file. In OEBPS document, there is a file (.html) for each chapter (index_split_001.html = chapter 1)
    With Ant Renamer 2 software, I rename the files as in Equipd's .epub (00.XX.00.xhtml). I have to do this 66 times! OR FASTER : use "Operation", "change name from a list"! )))
    After with Notepad or Notepad++, I open a chapter to look and copy the code before each verse. With the software TextCrawler 3 or Notepad++, I make Find-Replace in batch (file filter : *.Xhtml). so we must find the steps not to destroy files and reduce operations!
    At the end the code need to be like Equipd epub (<p><a id="c00_v0"></a><span class="vn">0</span>). Universally, I start with verse 176 down to 1. I put c999 and after I replace c999 by c150 down to c1 (file filter : *00.Xhtml). OR FASTER : use "regular expressions", find number range [0-9], replace by \1+code...
    After I take the 66 files like (01.GE.00.xhtml), toc from Equipd .epub with all chapters files and the good file (content.opf) in the document OEBPS. After I make the .epub with the software EpubPack 1.3.2.0 (with the mimetype file). At the end I edit, if necessary, metadata in Calibre.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  14. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp New Member

Wow, that's a lot of work! @Matthew is there a program that could automate some of this? Thanks.

15. Gabriel

Gabriel Active Member

16. iMatt

17. Gabriel

Gabriel Active Member

My epub work well in Equipd but not in a conventional epub reader. ideally should make corrections?

18. iMatt

There are no tools that automate this for the Equipd Bible that I know of sorry. And yes some individuals, including myself, have obviously written scripts to automate some of the work. But I am not personally willing to share my efforts on this to avoid any issues with breaching the Terms of Use on websites such as JW.org. For example the Terms of Use on that website state: "You may not ... Create for distribution purposes, any software applications, tools, or techniques that are specifically made to collect, copy, download, extract, harvest, or scrape data, HTML, images, or text from this site". Somebody may adapt my scripts to do exactly this. Thus, as the developer of the Equipd Bible app, I am avoiding the issue altogether by not sharing my scripts or helping others to write their own. But that does not stop others helping you. Hope that explains my position better.

19. iMatt

I have removed any of your posts. I did move some of this thread out into the Technical Questions forum. I am a bit concerned about this thread being flooded with conversations around this topic - I may move to a different structure in the near future where we can have a thread per Bible. No worries for now - I will look into all these Bibles you are listing when I get a chance. Thanks for all the details.

20. Gabriel

Gabriel Active Member

To do per bible, you need to know the Book Orders :
    https://github.com/openscriptures/BibleOrgSys/tree/master/DataFiles/BookOrders