Fixed Bible search freezes

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by N2learn, Mar 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. N2learn

N2learn New Member

lately when trying to search for a scripture in the Bible, it freezes up, will not let me finish typing, have to close out of app and restart only to get same results, this happens on both, iPhone and iPad, any suggestions

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

This was introduced with the latest version 3.8.0. I am working on a solution now.

3. Mai Ly

Mai Ly New Member

Equipd does not react when I look up for a word. Buttons : (enter), OK, Cancel does not react. Please help.
    (It used to work, I don’t know what happened since). Thank you,

4. cyclecat

cyclecat New Member

THANK you for the information. I will wait patiently.

5. iMatt

Thanks for your patience on this one. I am having to totally rework the search feature as low-level changes in version 3.8 are freezing the UI thread while the search is being performed. 3.8 introduced many performance improvements which a lot of users have noticed, but this is an unfortunate side affect that was not caught in testing (which I am very disappointed about).

I am going to push out an update for the other issues reported in 3.8, but the search needs more work before it will be fixed I am sorry. The fix should follow within the next week. I apologise for the inconvenience.

• Like x 1
    • I'm Happy x 1
    • List
  6. iMatt

Sorry for the delay, but I am pleased to announce that this issue is resolved.

Not only resolved, but I have managed to improve the search tool quite a lot:
    • Significantly faster search times.
    • You can now use “quotes” to search for an exact phrase. For example search for “in the beginning” (see screenshot).
    • A counter shows the number of matching verses (see screenshot).
    • All matching search words or phrases within the verse are highlighted.
    Search - Initialising.png Search - Exact Phrase Match.png Search - Highlighting Words.png

Note: The first time you go to search a specific Bible, it will perform a one-off process to speed up the search. It can take up to 60 seconds for this process to complete. Please just be patient – you will only need to wait for this once. The benefits are worth it.

This fix will be part of version 3.8.1 which I am resubmitting to Apple now.

7. iMatt

Version 3.8.1 is out now. Any feedback on if this has fixed the issue for you and if you find it faster?

8. cyclecat

cyclecat New Member

The search function works flawlessly, thanks for the quick fix. It works faster,

9. iMatt

That's great, thanks for the feedback :)