Technical Introducing the Equipd Bible URL Scheme

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by iMatt, Jun 27, 2015.

1. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

I have made a start on documenting the URL Scheme for the Equipd Bible app. Equipd supports the x-callback-url standard, as well as a more basic URL scheme.

Because of the complexity of this Knowledge Base article, please find the content here: http://www.equipd.me/kb/url-scheme/

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. Jonathan Markevich

Jonathan Markevich New Member

I created an Editorial workflow to grab the current line (where I entered a scripture) and look it up in the old Equipd. It made for remarkable notetaking at the convention! The x-callback is going to be better yet.

Is there any likelihood of adding copy (and return) actions? So with one click I can automate the process even more? Just an idea.

3. iMatt

@Jonathan Markevich thanks for the feedback. I can look into it - I would need to experiment a bit to get that working, as that is different from just lookup up the scripture, it is automating actions after the lookup has completed.

I have a request for you :) Would you be able to tell us more about your Editorial workflow? I just created a new Forum called Tips & Tricks - it would be great if you could tell us more about what you are doing there. I can then use that information to imitate and test the workflow you are referring to.

4. Jonathan Markevich

Watch for my post! :)

5. CrispyB

CrispyB New Member

Drafts would also allow something like this, but I have been wanting to get Editorial.
    Currently I double tap, then move to equipd, look up scripture, copy to clipboard (which I absolutely love), then switch back to note app and paste, works great.
    Keeps me from having to type the scripture out ;)

6. Jonathan Markevich

Drafts is also awesome. I think editorial is a bit stronger on general text manipulation... I couldn't figure out how to get Drafts to select the current line, for example. Once it's selected, you can use the [[selected]] tag of course, and then do the space removal process, etc. I just found selecting the scripture was a bit fiddly (I usually type it with spaces, if I just want to leave it as is, it still looks tidy) so I wrote the workflow.

Another little shortcut is in Editorial there's a default snippet "ppp" that pastes the clipboard, I created a second one (sss) that inserts > and then the clipboard contents, which creates a block quote for the scripture.

Markdown is fantastic for quick and good looking notes!

7. CrispyB

CrispyB New Member

Hi Jonathan,
    Since I also enjoy using equipd this way I wanted to check on your current workflow. I use 1Writer a lot but still haven't built this specific workflow.
    Currently I am trying to build a callback to one of my bookmarks in equipd. Just started searching the forum to see if it is possible.

8. Jonathan Markevich

I haven't used my iPad lately for text notes because of an issue I'm having with the onscreen keyboard... when I type a comma and then a space, it somehow goes into "selection mode" and grabs anywhere from a word to a sentence. I've overtyped lots of stuff when trying to keep up... I've switched to using Notes Plus and just use digital ink (which converts to text).

I should really try a third-party keyboard, but I haven't found one that I really like.

I am intrigued by 1Writer, especially since I like Javascript a lot... and dislike Python a lot :) I'm pretty sure it's possible, you can do regular expressions in Javascript without too much effort.

9. Jonathan Markevich

Hi there, I was just curious if you found a solution for 1Writer. My nephew and I put something together for his sister's 1Writer, I think it's been working ok (I'll have to ask). One thing I noticed is that it has to be run more than once to work, but that may have been fixed by now.

@iMatt, I was wondering if you were going to expand this at all to include searching via URL? It would be great to select a phrase of the scripture we didn't quite catch and have it run a search...

10. Debbie Kling

Debbie Kling New Member

I would like to use the x-callback - I am creating my Bible reading schedule in “Numbers” and saving as PDF is there a way that the X-call back will recognize other PDF readers, so that when I share my schedule people will be able to use their favorite reader instead of being locked into iBooks? How would the x-call back be typed out to link to online videos?https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_video/4b/nwtsv_E_180_r480P.mp4

11. iMatt

Hi Debbie,

The full x-callback-url scheme is defined in the documentation:
    http://www.equipd.me/kb/url-scheme/

I don't quite understand what it is you want to do with it there sorry. The callback scheme is a standard approach used by many apps. So from "App A" you point to "Equipd Bible" and the callback you define is what will happen when you press the "Return to Your App Name" button in the Equipd Bible app - you can see the button in the example screenshot in the docs.

It is up to you what you do from there. Keep in mind that if you want to open items in other apps, then those apps also need to have a URL scheme. Google is your friend :)

12. Debbie Kling

Debbie Kling New Member

2 questions - I am totally over my head here - but I am using this
    equipdbible://x-callback-url/lookup?x-source=iBooks&x-success=ibooks://&scripture=Col1:15-17 for my link back to iBooks; how would I make the link so that it is not locked into just iBooks but would work with whatever other PDF readers a person wanted to use as well? (I want to share my Chronological Bible reading schedule when I get it done and other friends may prefer a different reader than iBooks.) 2. How do I make the link so that it will come back from showing the video on TV.jw.org? (I understand if you do not have the time to deal with this. I did read the info x-callback-url scheme but my brain did a “deer-in-the-headlights”)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  13. iMatt

@Debbie Kling

This comes back to my comment:
    The x-callback-url scheme is what makes all of this possible.

So the link says...
    Open the scripture "Col1:15-17" in "equipdbible" and tell "equipdbible" two things: 1) The app that sent the link is called "iBooks", and 2) When finished request the URL scheme of "ibooks://"

It is the programming inside Equipd Bible that interprets the link and makes all this happen Debbie. So when you click the link, Equipd Bible interprets everything inside the x-callback link and performs the steps.

So if you want to start being clever with other apps, then they also need to have their own x-callback-url scheme. And most do not. It is an advanced feature of Equipd Bible. There is no way that I know of to tell the browser to come back to iBooks after showing the Video. Not via the link. But ... at the top/left of the screen doesn't iOS already provide a "< return to app" link?

As for allowing users to use something other than iBooks in the link definition - that is over to what apps are out there and if you can work out what their URL scheme is, so that you can put it into the link definition instead of "ibooks://". As mentioned, Google is your friend. On the official x-callback-url website there is a list of apps that might get you started: http://x-callback-url.com/apps/

I hope that clarifies things for you.

14. Debbie Kling

Debbie Kling New Member

Yes, it helps. I am having a great time and doing a lot of research making my Chronological Bible reading schedule. I made a keyboard shortcut for the equipdbible://x-callback-url/lookup?x-source=iBooks&x-success=ibooks://&scripture=- and it is working great. Thank you for taking the time to help me understand the process a little better. And yes I have the little back arrow on the upper left to get back after watching the video (I just wanted it to match the other one at the bottom :) I am so loving Equipd!!!