Idea Reading schedule request

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Matt Stanley, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Matt Stanley

Matt Stanley New Member

Hi Matt

Fantastic app - I've come across it at just the right time for me.

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section, but would it be possible to create the bible reading schedule mentioned in this week's watchtower study, and outlined in detail in the April 2009 Awake?:

Monday: Action-packed history (Genesis to Esther)
    Tuesday: Jesus’ life and teaching (Matthew to John)
    Wednesday: Early Christianity (Acts)
    Thursday: Prophecy and moral guidance (Isaiah to Malachi, Revelation)
    Friday: Moving poetry and song (Job, Psalms, Song of Solomon)
    Saturday: Wisdom for living (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes)
    Sunday: Letters to the congregations (Romans to Jude)

It looks pretty complex to me so not sure if this is possible.

Many thanks

Matt Stanley

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Hi Matt - good name ;)

It is a good idea. At the moment I don't have time to look further into this ... but the reality is that anybody who can work with JSON can create this schedule themselves. They can then share the schedule via these forums, the same way I am sharing other Schedules for download here.

3. Matt Stanley

Matt Stanley New Member

Hi Matt
    Yes, great name (although my mum wanted to call me Zebedee, but thankfully my dad talked her out of it!!)
    I'd have no idea how to do this but hopefully someone will rise to the challenge.
    Thanks again for all your work on the app Matt - it's making a real difference for me.
    All the best.
    Matt

4. Gabriel

Gabriel Active Member

there is a disproportionate amount of chapters to read by day.

Here are the number of days by section in the bible in a year schedule:
    Monday: 158 days (Genesis to Esther)
    Tuesday: 34 days (Matthew to John)
    Wednesday: 11 days (Acts)
    Thursday: 81 days (Isaiah to Malachi, Revelation)
    Friday: 41 days (Job, Psalms, Song of Solomon)
    Saturday: 11 days (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes)
    Sunday: 28 days (Romans to Jude)

5. Matt Stanley

Matt Stanley New Member

I just assumed it would be an ongoing loop - rather than aiming to read the entire bible just once in a year you would read Acts, for example, once every 28 weeks (reading a chapter every Wednesday) but Romans to Jude once every 120 weeks (reading a chapter every Sunday)....perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick

6. Gabriel

Gabriel Active Member

I suggest you try to do a file (txt, excel, etc) with how you imagine your program. There are portions which are read often but often more interesting sections! ))) But the Watchtower study of the last week was encouraging to see something useful in all!))
    After that, you or I can try to do the JSON file. But I do not know if Equipd can support weekday setting? I know it is possible with fixed dates. Day of beginning: Monday

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  7. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

@Matt Stanley were you thinking of this as a "read in one year" schedule? Or a one chapter a day until you have finally read the entire Bible schedule (with some chapters being read multiple times)?

The app does not support endlessly looping schedules - each schedule has a start and an end. Which is why the suggestion from @Gabriel about putting the schedule down on paper (or Excel) is a good one as it will help you, and us, to visualise how this would work in real terms.

And yes you would have to start the plan on a Monday - which you could manually select as the Start Day for the schedule. And then it would line up from there if the plan has been created correctly. i.e. Every 7 days you would read "Action-packed history" (Genesis to Esther).

8. Matt Stanley

Matt Stanley New Member

@iMatt
    Ah, I see now.....I was hoping it would be the latter approach - a chapter a day, giving a nice steady reading with no pressure but I see this may be tricky.
    I'll try to get something into Excel....