Planned Ability to search within notes

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by darylpro, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. darylpro

darylpro New Member

Hi Matt,

Firstly, thank you for the great improvements around notes, especially being able to add links, the detection of scriptures, and the ability to open links from the Notes popup.

Searching the forum did not reveal that the following has been requested before, so here goes. I have been adding links to artwork from jw.org that correspond with certain scriptures, and also links to illustrations and experiences that amplify or illustrate certain texts. The text for the link starts with Artwork: or Illustration:. (I also use the notes colours to distinguish normal notes from links to artwork and illustrations, where it makes sense.)

For example, the study lesson for last week from the Watchtower shows Jephthah visiting his daughter at the tabernacle. I linked this artwork to Judges 11:40 using the following: [Artwork: Jephthah visits his daughter at the tabernacle](link to artwork).

At times artwork may apply to more than one text, but it's easier to just link it to one scripture. It would be very useful to add a search feature for notes, or the ability to add a tag to a note that could be searched on later. The idea is to be able to locate a note again without having to navigate via the scripture. The search results would list the scripture references (not the text), and the notes text with the search expression highlighted in bold, as the search in the Bible currently works.

I did think about creating a bookmark structure for illustrations, artwork and illustrations, but that would be a slight duplication.

So, in short, a search feature for notes would be very helpful. Thanks very much.

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Thanks @darylpro for taking the time to write this up. Yes I do have plans around this feature, and quite a few plans around the images etc. But they might be a little while away yet as I am focussing my attention on a new app and just can't do it all unfortunately. I will get there I am sure!

3. Carlos

Carlos Member

I really wish this was a feature that already existed. I have so many notes in my bibles and this is becoming more and more necessary. I am still hanging on to this app because of the easy integration with Editorial for note taking but not being able to seach the notes it’s already bothering me a bit.

4. iMatt

Thanks for the reminder about this and the heads up. I have been quite busy working on features for my ministry app ServicePlanner, but I do need to give the Bible app some love as well. I will see what I can do in the coming weeks.

5. darylpro

darylpro New Member

Hi Matt,

Glad to see that this request is still being given consideration. This would really enhance using Equipd as a study Bible.

There is a little I wanted to add to this general request, (or perhaps should add it as a separate request), and is related to bookmark topics. It would be really useful to search within the comments that are added when bookmarking a verse (as these are also notes related to a verse). Related to that, being able to view which bookmark topics a verse has been associated with, perhaps as a separate tab in the Notes window, along with navigation to a topic, would be very helpful. This is especially the case when bookmark topics are used for tagging. Whatever plans you have, we look forward to seeing the results!

By the way, Service Planner is really useful, and does help to improve planning for the ministry.

6. iMatt

Hi @darylpro

I am adding a very basic search mechanism to both Bookmarks, and to the list of Notes. Both of these searches just search the rows currently on display in the table.

So for the Bookmarks, if you go into a Topic like "Favourites" it will search within the current scriptures AND your comments listed on that screen.

And for Notes - if you go into a Bible Book like "Matthew" and then into "All Chapters" - the search will search all the notes in that current table.

There is definitely room for improvement, particularly for a global search across all the Notes, and with highlighting of the matched string within the note. But for now hopefully this is an improvement anyway until I get more time...

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 Plus - 2018-08-15 at 14.20.48.png Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 Plus - 2018-08-15 at 14.21.24.png

7. darylpro

darylpro New Member

Hi Matt, hope you are well. I just wanted to check whether these requests around notes are still on your radar. They will make a big difference and eliminate some workaround note taking systems. Thanks for all you have done and are doing. The searches you already added for bookmarks and notes are very useful, and have bridged some of the gaps. Thanks for adding them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  8. iMatt

Nice to hear from you @darylpro . I haven’t forgotten. It has been a while since I updated the app with new features and I have struggled to find time to do so with all that has been happening, but I still have many plans for the app and better search options is one of them.