Planned Alternate colours for selected verses

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by iMatt, Nov 4, 2016.

1. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Currently selected verses are shown in a red/maroon colour (shown below). Some users with colour blindness can find this difficult to see.

I will add an option in Settings to change the colour used for selected verses.

Current Selected Colour
    Colour Used in older Equipd app

If you have other colour suggestions please add them in comments below...

2. Matt

Matt New Member

Blue seems to be the easiest for me to see. Thanks!

• Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Bohemian

Bohemian Member

I think red is fine and blue too, but I rather think they should be bolder so they stand out more.
    Blue could be mistaken for a hyperlink, too.

Strong, dark red seems to me to be a better option.

4. iMatt

Yes this is why I moved to red ;)
    Red would not help @Matt much who is colour blind and doesn't see red very well.
    So you think I should have a "bold text" option, in addition to choice of colour selection? Or are you suggesting I choose different shades of blue / red?

FYI the colours I have chosen were not selected at random, but were selected based on what is easy to see, what is used on other key websites which take these issues into account, and what matches the app theming as well (also important). Don't pay too much attention to how the colours look on this forum on the grey background, as they look clearer / bolder inside the app with the different font and on the white background.

5. Bohemian

Bohemian Member

Appreciate your reply, Matt. Things I hadn't taken into account there (a long time since I designed a website long before apps arrived!).

I don't know how difficult these things are to implement, but the JWLibrary Bible 'greys out' unselected text leaving the text selection in its normal state. There are problems even with this solution when one chooses another scripture, though.
    I'll give it more thought.

6. iMatt

I guess part of me is thinking that the current colour is working just fine as nobody has ever raised an issue with it until Matt - and he only raised it because he is colour blind and has difficulty seeing shades of red. This is a very specific reason, and I am keen to add the option in settings because of this. But it is not really indicative of a general issue that users have with the existing colour.

Now that this feature request is here obviously it is interesting to see what users think however - so keep the feedback coming @Baerwurzl :)

7. niall

niall New Member

Perhaps other colour blind users didn't even know they were a different colour! I'm colour blind and I wouldn't have noticed had I not read this topic. Now I know, I can see a slight difference between selected verses and non selected verses, but I don't think I would have picked it up on my own.

My preference is always to be given the option of selecting my own colours - even for highlighting text.

In Windows it would be as easy as using a variable and calling a colour picker from a common dll, but I'm not that familiar with programming for iOS so I don't know how difficult it would be to implement.

I find this an issue with just about every app that lets you mark-up, or underline, text. Even with JW Library I'm basically down to two colours. The first two colours are way too similar for me to distinguish between on an iPad screen, the blue is good, but the red is too dark. The only time I use red is when I'm on the mixer and need to identify the WT paragraphs associated with illustrations to be shown on the TV screens. I just highlight the paragraph number in red.

8. Baerwurzl

Baerwurzl Member

Sorry Matt. Ive just seen this tread today.

For me the current color is working fine (it is not very modern, but works. Same as the colors of the picker :))
    But i also can see blue or bold alternatives. I would test it...

9. Baerwurzl

Baerwurzl Member

What i really like to see is and alternate background color like a bright brown like other epub readers

10. niall

niall New Member

There is a system level fix for this.

1. Open Settings
    2. Go to “General/Accessability/Display Accommodations"
    3. Go to "Colour Filters" and turn ON
    4. If you know your what Colour Blindness you have, select it from the options. You can change the intensity using the slider at the bottom of the screen. If you don’t know what you have, select an option and test it by doing an online colourblindness test.

I’m Protanopia. Even though the colours look horrible, I passed the colourblindness test and am also able to distinguish between all four highlight colours in JW Library. Plus I can easily see the selected verse in Equipd.

11. Debbie Kling

Debbie Kling New Member

I think bold would help those that are color blind. I really appreciate that the selected text is a different color than the rest.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. iMatt

Are you able to give me an example of an app with the alternate background colour?