Duplicate Highlighting

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by gene, Jun 27, 2015.

1. gene

gene New Member

how about being able to highlight a scripture?

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

This is not likely to happen sorry Gene. I have already carefully considered this option as part of the development of the Notes feature and rejected it for a number of reasons which I will not cover here.

Keep in mind what you can do however. You can add verse notes and choose between four different colours. And you can create links inside the verse to the note, which is a very powerful feature that I will type up documentation about in the Knowledge Base later today. These are very structured methods of adding annotations to a Bible verse and will persist even if the EPUB file is updated, or other modifications happen inside the verse such as cross-references or footnotes being added etc.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  3. KK Loh

KK Loh New Member

Matthew, first of all, let me thank you very much for restoring the old Equipd.

I really hope you would consider implementing highlighting in Equipd Bible. Many of us have highlights of our favorites verses in our hard copy Bible. These favorites have been accumulated over many years. We rely heavily on such highlights to locate Scriptures quickly, especially during field service and study, by roughly remembering only the book and chapter. Ever since we switch to iPhone/iPad, we must locate Scriptures slowing by scanning the chapter without the help of any highlights. The search feature of Equipd Bible at the moment is rather slow.

Of course, I can improvise highlighting by creating verse notes, even with double quote links, but the process proves to be cumbersome and the resulting verse lighted circles are small and not as conspicuous as actual highlighting. It would be wonderful if we can the same highlighting feature of old Equipd here.

Please consider.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • List
  4. iMatt

Don't forget you can use the new Bookmarking tool as well @KK Loh. You can bookmark your Favourite scriptures by category.

To clarify once more - I will not be adding support for ad-hoc annotations inside scriptures. These will be highly problematic. Even in the old Equipd I never intended to the highlighting feature you are referring to, to the Bible.

Maybe I will add a new option to add the selected note colour to the entire verse however, if you want the entire verse to stand out. Or something similar that applies to the entire verse. But not freeform annotations sorry.

5. gene

gene New Member

Having the verse stand out would be great. I tried the double quotes and that worked good. Used the bible during the talk today and it worked great. Was able to make a couple of notes about the verses. Also been using the bookmarks and they are great.

6. KK Loh

KK Loh New Member

Matthew, "adding the selected note color to the entire verse" would be a good substitute for free-form annotations, thanks a lot.

I have considered bookmarking my favorite Scriptures by categories. However, when the categories get larger, it may be difficult to scan through the bookmarks for the Scriptures I have in mind. Do you plan to put in a search function for bookmarks?

Please advise if the scheduled email backup can save all the notes I have created, and should we be concern about backing up the Bible epub file itself?

Many thanks

7. iMatt

I will think about this. If you have that many, then I am not sure what benefit a search would be over just searching the Bible itself. I might just put in a table search on list of bookmarks you are looking at, as opposed to a full-text search at a lower level.
    The backup will include your verse notes and your bookmarks.

The EPUB file can be downloaded at any time, but if you want to backup you can via iTunes File Sharing or email it to yourself from inside the app.

Hope that helps.

8. iMatt

9. Beaker25

Beaker25 New Member

When will the feature referring to the user being able to randomly select text and underline or highlight become available? Because that would be very very useful for me. While I'm reading if it's something I like I would like to be able to highlight it!

10. iMatt

This thread was started by @gene asking...
    The ability to highlight a scripture, i.e. an entire verse, will be available soon in version 3.1 as described here.

The ability to highlight random text inside a verse, or "free-form annotations", is not currently planned for a number of reasons. I hope that the existing options provide you enough power to be able to add your thoughts to scriptures and to remember them or make them stand out. To clarify the options that exist already:
    • Add notes to verses. These notes are visible while reading the scripture (side panel on iPad).
    • Highlight thoughts inside the note by using the new formatting options.
    • Underline key phrases or words inside a verse by quoting text inside the note.
    • Highlight the entire verse to make it stand out, using the new note option coming in version 3.1.
    • Remember key scriptures by bookmarking them by topic, and even adding a comment against the bookmark.

Last edited: May 26, 2016