Done - 3.1 Support OneNote links inside Notes

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Debbie, May 30, 2016.

1. Debbie

Debbie Member

Matt, I wanted to thank you for the great update. I really like all the schedules and the ability to put links in the notes and the ability to markup the text in them.

I am posting some photos of links in MS OneNote and the Notes app that comes with the iPad. Hopefully one day we can do something like this with Equipd Bible and OneNote.

Thanks again for the great work.

image.png image.png image.png

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Debbie. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve sorry? You can already create hyperlinks in OneNote for example to scriptures in the Equipd Bible? The same way you would have to create any other hyperlink - type the word, and then enter the link details?

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  3. Debbie

Debbie Member

Hi, I am trying to get Equipd to open the link in OneNote. If I copy the link from OneNote into Equipd say for the Horned Viper page, it does not work the same as it does when I do the same thing in Notes. I will post a picture. Somehow Notes changes the link into the Page title which is great. When I paste it into Equipd, I get the address but it does not go to the link like Notes does. Please move if necessary.

Thanks image.png

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  4. iMatt

@Debbie so to clarify - you are trying to link from a Note in the Equipd Bible, to a document inside your OneNote.

In terms of adding a link like this to a Note in Equipd Bible - did you try using markdown links which are supported since version 3.0? Something like...
    Code:
    [Horned Viper](onenote:#Horned%20Viper....)
    If that does not work then it is likely a bug report. If you get me the details asap then I might be able to include a fix in 3.1 which is going out shortly. If you could please include in this note the full OneNote URL so that I can check it piece by piece. It would likely be caused by the URL including characters in it that are not viewed as valid by my parser.

5. iMatt

@Debbie. Oh actually the markdown format will not work sorry. Because the OneNote link has round brackets in it. As mentioned on this page:

6. iMatt

@Debbie - so what happens when you just paste the full OneNote link into a note? Does it work?

7. Debbie

Debbie Member

It does not do anything.
    Is this what you needed?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  8. iMatt

Yes thank you. Hmm yea this is quite a messy URL all right :eek: Leave it with me but I can't promise anything.

9. Debbie

Debbie Member

Also, it should just open it, not go out to OneDrive.

10. Debbie

Debbie Member

As I noted earlier, Notes somehow changes it to the name of the page which is great. You do not have to see that messy URL. Somewhere I read that the URL is actually 2 parts. Thanks for trying. If we get it to work it will be awesome. We can store pictures, notes, and documents and link to them.

11. iMatt

@Debbie did you create these onenote links on your ipad? Or on your desktop? I am having trouble trying to get a test environment working. I am an Evernote user not a OneNote user - although I am interested in exploring it further.

12. Debbie

Debbie Member

I created them on my desktop. You can create them yourself or I have an add-in called Onetastic that I used. It makes a fast table of contents based on page names, sections, or notebooks. Hopefully they will add this feature to the iPad soon. I have seen quite a few requests for it.

I used to use Evernote until OneNote came to the iPad. I was using OneNote on my desktop so I just moved everything over to use just one app. I really like it for taking noes at asembles and at the regional conventions and using Equibd Bible to either put a copy of the scripture or a link into my notes. It is wonderful.

• Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Debbie

Debbie Member

In OneNote I press on my link that I created. A box pops up to open or copy. I tap copy and paste that into Notes. I did it the same
    way in Equipd.

• Informative x 1
    • List
  14. iMatt

OK @Debbie. I spent a bit of time on this figuring out how the OneNote links work, and trying a number of different link types to see how they are formatting and to try and support what I can.

At this stage I have the links to Sections and links to Pages working. Links to a Workbook, or links to a specific paragraph are not supported sorry.

Specifically, links are supported that start with "onenote:" and end with "&end".

For example here is a sample link to a Section:
    Code:
    onenote:https://d.docs.live.net/fd6882c5ef767b19/Documents/Theocratic/Assembly's.one#section-id={F7A222B7-637F-6D41-BA7D-1D46C8985A34}&end
    And here is a sample link to a Page:
    Code:
    onenote:https://d.docs.live.net/fd6882c5ef767b19/Documents/Matthew's%20Notebook/Test%20Links.one#Page%202&section-id={CAD864C5-7A35-E846-A685-1783D72C0EC5}&page-id={7795E4D2-7A6A-7D43-B411-9C36CD90282E}&end
    Notice that both sample links clearly start with "onenote:" and end with "&end". So in the case of the sample link you provided me back in comment #7, you can just strip off everything after &end and it should work. i.e. you don't need everything from "&base-path=..." onwards.

Also the Equipd Bible will do it's best to work out the name of the Section, or the name of the Page and use that in the link. If it cannot determine the name then the link will just be named "OneNote".

So in the above examples it works out that the Section name is "Assembly's" and it works out that the Page name is "Page 2".

I hope this level of support for the OneNote links proves helpful.

15. Debbie

Debbie Member

Hi, thanks for looking into this. I tried what you said about my comment #7. I got rid of everything after end. I cannot get it to work. I am posting a picture so you can see what it looks like. It does not do anything. In your examples, it looks like you have the second part of the link.

image.png

16. iMatt

Sorry @Debbie - I think there is a misunderstanding. I have just added support for this. i.e. it will not work for you until the next version comes out.

That is why this thread is entitled "Coming Soon - Support OneNote links inside Notes".

17. Erngab

Erngab New Member

My OneNote links (creat with add-in Onestatic) do not have '&end' in link (like in comment#7).
    Link for section
    Code:
    onenote:43%20u%201.one%23base-path=https://d.docs.live.net/53f6d880c0e429fc/My%20OneNote/Biblijske%20Teme
    Link for page
    Code:
    onenote:43%20u%201.one#1. Biblija&base-path=https://d.docs.live.net/53f6d880c0e429fc/My%20OneNote/Biblijske%20Teme
    - When I put this links in notes, links are not visible in notes.
    - If I put '&end' to the end of links, links are visible (with name "onenote", they not have a section or page name).
    Link for section can open.
    Link for page can open, only if in the OneNote open a section where is a page placed (if in OneNote open other section, page cannot be open).
    - Markdown links (comment#4) for section are working. Markdown links for page working same as links with '&end'.

If in the links has Serbian letters (č,ć,š,đ,ž) links not work (when I click on links, nothing happens).
    Code:
    onenote:43%20u%201.one#5. Duša&base-path=https://d.docs.live.net/53f6d880c0e429fc/My%20OneNote/Biblijske%20Teme
    Code:
    onenote:1.%20Biblija.one#A. Božja Reč je nadahnuta&base-path=https://d.docs.live.net/53f6d880c0e429fc/My%20OneNote/Biblijske%20Teme
    Hi @Debbie one question. I see in your OneNote (comment#1, first picture) NWT (Study Edition) list of Media.
    I love how you nice arranged Media to sections and pages.
    How did you do this? Manually (copy, paste each page from jw.org), or maybe in some automatic mode (browser or OneNote add-in)?

18. iMatt

@Erngab your links look quite different from the supported link formats itemised here:
    http://www.equipd.me/forums/threads/support-onenote-links-inside-notes.277/#post-1126

I do not know what Onestatic is, but the Equipd Bible app is looking for a string that matches a specific structure. I think the start of your link is where the issue lies and I am not sure why it looks so different from the supported structure.
    Code:
    43%20u%201.one%23base-path=
    As far as I am aware Debbie's links and the valid links supported above were all generated on the Desktop version of OneNote.

19. Erngab

Erngab New Member

Debbie (I olso) create with Onestatic (desktop OneNote add-ins) one page with name "Table of Contents" (comment#1 picture1).
    This "Table of Contents" I creat on desktop OneNote (2013).
    OneNote links I copy from this "Table of Contents" (as well as Debbie)
    My second section has a name "43 u 1"
    Code:
    43%20u%201.one%23base-path=
    Third section "1. Biblija"
    Code:
    onenote:1.%20Biblija.one#base-path=https://d.docs.live.net/53f6d880c0e429fc/My%20OneNote/Biblijske%20Teme
    One page without number in name
    Code:
    onenote:Daniela.one#PISMA&base-path=https://d.docs.live.net/53f6d880c0e429fc/My%20OneNote/Pisma
    - Perhaps desktop OneNote 2013 has a different structure of the link.
    - Or Onestatic add-ins (I worked with the most recent version) make different links.
    Currently I have no desktop computer. I'll check again links in desktop OneNote when I get to the computer.

IMG_0148.PNG IMG_0149.PNG

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  20. Erngab

Erngab New Member

Inside OneNote (iPad, Windows) this links work fine.
    From "Table of Contents" I open without a problem sections, pages.