Coming Soon Support for Yale Cantonese Romanization

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by iMatt, Oct 16, 2017.

1. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

There is much debate about what is the best form of romanisation to help learners of Cantonese. Sidney Lau is very popular in some circles, but others prefer Yale romanization. Yale is very similar to Pinyin. It would be handy if Cantonese learners could read the Equipd Bible in Yale as well.

I am pleased to add support for Yale romanization in the upcoming version 3.3 of the Equipd Bible. It will work above Chinese Traditional and Simplified characters, and offers the same 2-line format and other features that currently exist in Pinyin, Zhuyin (Bofomofo) and Sidney Lau.

Screen Recording 2017-10-16 at 03.32 PM.gif

2. lechuan

lechuan New Member

Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for this! As a Cantonese learner, I really appreciate this!

Might it be possible to add in a couple more? (I could help with the conversion tables, etc if desired; I am also a programmer)

Was hoping to add support for:
    - Modified Yale (Same as yale, but uses numbers for tones instead of tone marks and h). In Pleco, this is called "Yale w/Numbers"
    - Jyutping (The official romanization system developed by the Linguistic Society of Hong Kong). It is gaining more traction and is used more and more in newly produced textbooks, websites, etc. In Pleco, this is called "Jyutping w/Digits".

Thank you!