Bug Report Links not working if Preferred Bible not a language that supports Scripture Lookups

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Erngab, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Erngab

Erngab New Member

When I put that Preferred Bible is Serbian (bi12-SBO), (bi12-H) - or any Bible translations in which scripture lookups not supported,
    In Schedule Daily Text 2017 can not open verses, or link to the Wachtower.
    To open verses in Daily Text, Preferred Bible must be (nwt-E), (KJV+S) - or any Bible translations in which scripture lookups are suported.

Similar thing - The last note to be listed in the sidebar will determine the language used for scriptures lookupsin - Thread: Add Scripture Lookup support for Serbian (Roman)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

This post is a bit confusing.

Scriptures inside the Daily Text do indeed open verses ... as long as the language of your Preferred Bible supports Scripture Lookups.

The single issue here is the fact that you have set your Preferred Bible to a Serbian language Bible. And there is no Scripture Lookup support for Serbian. Am I correct on this point?

i.e. This is working by design. It is not a bug.

3. iMatt

We need to keep each issue "isolated". What you are really wanting here is something we have already addressed in another post. I think your requirements are already covered by my post here.

4. iMatt

I have renamed the bug report to reflect the general issue you are experiencing.

My solution to this is going to be to have the lookups fall back on the Clipboard Lookup Language defined in Settings if the Preferred Bible language does not support Scripture Lookups.

Of course this will not help if the user is using Bibles or Schedules or typing scripture links in languages that do not support Scripture Lookups yet.

5. Erngab

Erngab New Member

Sorry if I don't know well to explain, if I confuse you.
    I only want to open a link, in Daily Text (open English verse in English Daily Text).
    But I can't open when my Preferred Bible is in Serbian.
    I think that is bug. I don't know this is working by design.
    Once again sorry for my poor explanation, and because of my poor english.

6. iMatt

It is ok @Erngab. I appreciate the bug reports. The challenge here is that you are using a default language for your Bible, that you are not using for other content around the app. And your default Bible language happens to be one that does not support Scripture Lookups. It is quite a specific scenario, which is why nobody has reported this issue before.

When scripture detection is being made over a block of text, or HTML in the case of the Daily Text, there is not always a clear definition of what language content is in. So the code will use the Preferred Bible language to try and perform the scripture lookup detection. This is how I designed it, which is why I say it is not a bug. The assumption is that the users Preferred Bible is the language they are using most of the app in.

Anyway, I think we both have a clear understanding of the issues you are encountering at this stage. Thanks again for taking the time to report them. I will see what I can do to fix the issues for you, or at least improve the handling of links with this given scenario.