Idea Button for Google Translator

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Antonio, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Antonio

Antonio New Member

Hi Matt
    I know you have a quick link for Pleco Dictionary Chinese. Can the same be done for Google Translator for other languages. That way we can just click on the word and go right to the definition?

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Hi Antonio.

I have actually looked into this before, but could not figure out how to pass in an existing string + language definitions to Google Translate in order to get it translated.

I just figured out how to do this with the online Google Translate:
    https://translate.google.com/?source=gtx_m#en/ko/Good morning
    https://translate.google.com/#en/da/horse

I will see again if I can get it working with the Google Translate app on the device.

What language were you thinking of using it for? Chinese? Or other languages?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  3. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

It does not seem possible to tell the Google Translate app what languages to use or what Text to translate sorry.

I can do it with iTranslate:
    itranslate://translate?from=auto&to=da&text={text}

You happy if it launches the Google Translate website? Or prefer it stay on the device? Even apps on the device will most of the time require an internet connection to perform the translation - unless you pay for offline mode in iTranslate etc.

4. Antonio

Antonio New Member

Hi Matt, thanks for looking into it, was wanting to use it for Malay. If it can work for Itranslate, that would work. I just enjoyed the Pleco feature when I was in Chinese so much, but now we are in Malay, so looking for an alternative.