Copying into Equipd

Discussion in 'Technical Questions' started by Linda B, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Linda B

Linda B New Member

I've made about 40 folders in app with 1 to 14 scriptures in each and comments to some of scriptures. Is there a limit to how much I can put in the folders. I cleared the clipboard. Have copied from Isilo, notability, goodnotes and it is not pasting in Equipd. I have copies from all of the above and have been able to paste to them..what should I do?..Linda B

2. iMatt

iMatt Administrator Staff Member

Hey Linda.

I am not quite clear on the question. Is this about the older "Equipd" or solely an issue in the "Equipd Bible" app.

There are no limits imposed by the app. Are you able to list the steps 1 at a time so I can see where the issue arises?

Have you tried restarting the app or your device?

3. Linda B

Linda B New Member

The new app and yes I've restarted the app and ipad several times..I go to isilo to an older WT highlight and touch copy and the scripture I'm researching is already open in E. in the folder I wanted it in. I then go to the folder and swipe to the left which brings up edit and long press in the space to bring up the paste and touch it and nothing happens..Linda

4. iMatt

Does the content paste into other apps? eg If you open the iOS Notes app for example, and try pasting the same content - does that work?

If you try and copy and paste content from other places/apps - does that work?

If you try and copy and paste content into other areas of the Equipd app - eg a Verse Note - does that work?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to narrow down things as I have not seen this issue before.

5. Linda B

Linda B New Member

Matt, been playing around doing what you said and I know in the past I've not had a problem with pasting into E. I've copied from jw library wt and had no problem pasting into E or note or goodnotes. The problem now I think is isilo. Sometimes it will copy, paste and sometime it will not paste into E. In isilo sometimes it looks like the copy button does not get dark like it is not enabled. Everything else I copy and paste from into E works. I will continue with isilo since it seems that is the problem.
    I Really want to thank you for this wonderful app. I've been using it lately to save bible scriptures that we can use for principles and pasting into the notes section comments from WT..Linda

6. Linda B

Linda B New Member

I'm having problems again pasting into comment section about a scripture..Please call me if you can. Linda 706-513-9806

7. iMatt

Hi @Linda. I do not offer phone support sorry.

Please answer for me every question posed in the above response and I will try to help.

8. Linda B

Linda B New Member

First, I have restarted my ipad. Brought up E and went to the scripture I wanted to do research on. I tap the wol button and went there. I saw the wt I wanted to get infor from and brought up the handlers and highlighted it and tap the copy. Went back to E by tap the top left back button. I then go to the folder at the top left where I have the scripture saved and drag it to the left to bring up the edit area to bring up the comment section. I then tap which brings up the paste. I tap paste and nothing happens. I have done this many times. Linda

9. iMatt

Thanks @Linda.

So my question is - if you copy exactly the same content from WOL, and then try and paste it into a completely different app (eg Notes) - does that work? Or does the Paste not work there either?

10. Linda B

Linda B New Member

I just copied it again and it pasted in notes and notability but it would not paste in the folder for the comments..Linda

11. hhoffmanlv

hhoffmanlv New Member

I have been having a similar issue. When adding a note to a scripture. Pasting from Safari isn't working. Though I can type in the note box. Pasting elsewhere works. I am running "Clips" on my mini 2/retina with iOS 10.1.

12. hhoffmanlv

hhoffmanlv New Member

I just removed "Clips" and my copy and paste worked? Possibly that program isn't updated fully for iOS 10.1.

13. iMatt

Hi @hhoffmanlv and @Linda B - sorry for the delayed reply.

@hhoffmanlv I am not sure about the "Clips" app, yes this could be causing problems. Any external app interfering with the clipboard contents could be triggering issues.

@Linda B Overall I do not think that the Equipd Bible app is causing issues with the clipboard. Any issues are likely caused by anomalies in iOS. The Equipd Bible app is simply showing an input box to paste into. There is nothing special about the input box. Once the input box is displayed, the fact that you have many folders or scriptures bookmarked is not really relevant to the display of that input box and if iOS will allow you to paste into it.

Further to this, I have seen similar issues with pasting in other apps. For example, both my wife and I have had situations where we are taking notes in the MS Word app, and it refuses to paste a scripture. For example lets say I am trying to paste Ecclesiastes 9:5,10 from the Equipd Bible. Other scriptures up to then were pasting fine, but all of a sudden when I select "Paste" in Word, nothing happens. Going across to the Notes app - pasting works fine. So I go back into Equipd Bible and select just Ecclesiastes 9:5 - dropping verse 10. Going back into Word, it now pastes fine. So I again look up Ecclesiastes 9:5,10 with both verses - and this time in Word it pastes the scripture just fine, both verses. Almost like it was some low-level glitch that occurred that needed to be cleared out of the way before it worked. I should clarify that others have been reporting similar issues with other apps - as mentioned, I don't think this is related to the Equipd Bible. It is too random. Nothing in the code has changed around this feature - only versions of iOS have been changing in the background.

Anyway I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  14. iMatt

@Linda B - I think I have identified a specific scenario that can trigger the issue you were reporting. It is quite specific. Let me try to explain it.

I look up Hebrews 12:4 in the Equipd Bible app. I then go to WOL and do research on this scripture. I then copy a paragraph like the following:
    And try to paste this into a Note in the Equipd Bible app. The Paste does not work.

Based on this scenario I could see the issue.

The scripture that is currently being looked up in the Bible app (Hebrews 12:4) is also being identified in the clipboard when you return to the app. Because it is the same scripture being identified inside the clipboard as you are currently looking at inside the app - the app is effectively ignoring the clipboard content.

Why does it do this? This code was added a long time ago to work around the scenario where you look up a scripture, press the "Copy" button, go into a note taking app like Word and Paste the scripture - and then return to the app. The scripture is still in the clipboard, and normally Equipd Bible would offer to lookup any scripture found in the clipboard - but because it is already the current scripture, we don't want to look it up again.

I apologise for the long-winded explanation. Hopefully it makes sense.

So - how to work around this in the short-term? If you copy text from around the scripture, and not including the scripture, then it should work fine.

And in the meantime I will improve the code around this so that the detection is more accurate and does not cause this scenario in the future.

Are you able to identify that this is the issue you have been having?

15. iMatt

I have improved this code in time for the upcoming version 3.3.